Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Capture Your Grief Day 17

Day 17. Anniversary/Birthday/Due Dates - For Adelyn's birthday/anniversary the past 2 years, we have had cake, planted something in her garden, and released something.

Her first birthday I was 37 weeks pregnant with Coen and a mess.  I was already on maternity leave and Trevor worked from home.  Sierra and I ran errands - bought a statue for her garden, a pink mum, and a small rose plant.  We bought an ice cream cake and got 3 pink balloons to release.  Sierra wore the shirt she was to wear to meet her sister :(  We sang happy birthday and bought Sierra a big sister/little sister doll set (the one I had been wanting to get her when I was pregnant with Adelyn).

Her second birthday crept up on me and was hard due to Coen's birthday following in just 11 days.  We did a lot of the same things but tweaked them a bit and I think we will celebrate her birthdays like this every year.  We baked a cake, which was fun for Sierra, and released sky lanterns.  We sang to her again this year and bought the kids the book "God Gave Us Heaven."  I think every year I will pick a book about Heaven or something to buy for them.  I also searched everywhere for a pink aster for her garden - it is the birth flower for September.  I didn't get to plant it until the next day, but my intention was to do it on her birthday.  I just ran out of time.

When the kids get older, I would love to spend the day or a day close to it, volunteering somehow and a bonus would be if it could somehow relate to baby loss/Adelyn.  But if it just ends up being helping someone else in her name, that's great too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment