Friday, September 23, 2011

Non Stress Tests

Today I had my weekly doctor appointment. I waited - for 30 minutes plus - for my regular appointment. I was starting to think too much when they finally called me back. Apparently they had forgotten to schedule my nonstress test this week so after I had my appointment I had to get it. I was at the doctor's for like 2 hours this morning. Ugh.

I think maybe Sierra is a bit of a celebrity in that office. Everyone asked where she was. I said that I needed a break from her because we have been butting heads lately. The nurse said something along the lines of her being quite precocious. LOL. I said yeah I think the teenage years are going to be quite interesting......

Anyway, when I got all hooked up today, it seemed like the baby's heartbeat was extra loud. And as I laid there without Sierra to distract me, it started bothering me to hear it. I know it should be reassuring, but today it made me think of Adelyn and it made me sad - on the verge of tears sad. When I was done, the nurse made a comment on the nonstress test - "This baby is textbook." I wanted to reach over and slap her and say "Please don't jinx me by saying that!"

Every week I lie in this room and read this poem on the wall, and I find it to be so true and touching that I searched and searched for it and finally found it:
"Young Parents' Prayer"
They're only little once.

Grant me the wisdom to guide them down the path that their feet should take.
For I know that they can never turn back and walk those paths with me again.

Give me the wisdom to guide their feet so that someday they'll be able to walk alone.

They're only little once.
Give me the time I need to enjoy them.
For I know that after they're grown,
I'll never have another chance to tell stories
and pretend at those tea parties.
I'll never have another chance to watch them
in a school play or church sing,
or to see them catch that first fish or hit that first home run ball.

Give me the time in life's busy schedule to have fun with my children.

They're only little once.
Let me be a loving parent.
Let me correct and not punish,
explain and not merely scold.
Let me know when to correct, and how often,
and when it's best to just look the other way.

Help me be patient and give me a gentle hand
to mold them into better people.

They're only little once.

Let me be a good teacher and an even better example.
Give me the right words and deeds to teach them.
Grant me the key to unlock their spirits and set them truly free.
For they're only little one time,
only innocent and trusting and pliable for a space of time,
one minute in an eternity.

Let me do my best for them while I have the chance.

Author Unknown

0 comments:

Post a Comment