Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve is one of my favorite days of the year.  This year was much gentler than last year.  However, I did find myself with a lump in my throat when we were watching a slideshow of pictures from past years and the song "Happy Christmas" was playing.  Not sure why, but it caught me.

We have a few traditions every year, like a food exchange.  I was distracted by trying to talk to everyone so I missed a lot of it.  Although we walked away with a ton of candy, which is great because we love it - but not so great for trying to lose the rest of this baby weight - ugh.  We also sing the 12 Days of Christmas - but we get a sheet that says which verses to sing - example this year "10 maids a milking" was to be sung if you are pregnant.  Good thing that one wasn't on there last year - but no one in the family was pregnant last year.  This is my favorite part of the night, and I missed it because I was in the bedroom feeding Coen.   I was thinking to myself that I should have sung the verse for being pregnant and then said, whoops - I forgot I am not pregnant anymore, I was pregnant for so long.  I'm glad I can joke about that these days.

We just set up Sierra's doll house and put out the rest of the presents.  She got that with TONS of little pieces that are going to be all over our house - why did I do that?!  She also got the changing table she wanted for her doll, even though she hasn't been playing with Rosie much at all lately.  Then just a couple books and clothes for her doll and stocking stuffers.  Coen got socks, a bib, an outfit, two books that I bought specifically for him - and then we wrapped some of Sierra's old Christmas books and baby toys so it would look like "Santa" brought him more.  What does  he really need?  She told Santa that Coen wanted blocks, so I did find her old ones that have been put away for years and wrapped them up for him.

Sierra left Santa his milk and cookies that we baked today.  We are all ready for the morning!


As if this post isn't random enough already, I wanted to throw in this poem.  It was from the hospital memorial service we attended for Adelyn, and I really like it.  Especially since I made that candle for her, and seeing it really reminds me of her and is comforting.

I will Light Candles this Christmas
by Howard Thurman

I will light Candles this Christmas;
Candles of joy despite all sadness,
Candles of hope where despair keeps watch,
Candles of courage for fears ever present,

Candles of peace for tempest-tossed days,
Candles of grace to ease heavy burdens,
Candles of love to inspire all my living,
Candles that will burn all the year long.

Love you and miss you Adelyn.

0 comments:

Post a Comment