Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Different Child

I found this poem shortly after Adelyn died, and hoped someday I would get to really understand the meaning. I wanted to share, because whoever wrote it got it SO right.  I love it, but it's a tear jerker.

A Different Child
A different child
people notice
There's a special glow around you
you grow
surrounded by love
never doubting you are wanted;
all you have to do is look at the pride and joy
in your mother and father's eyes

But if sometimes
between the smiles
there is a trace of tears,
one day
you will understand
You'll understand that
there was once another child
a different child
who was in their hopes and dreams.

That child will never outgrow the baby clothes.
That child will never keep them up at night.
In fact,
that child will never be any trouble at all.

Except sometimes, in a silent moment,
When mother and father miss so much
that different child
May hope and love wrap you warmly
and may you learn the lesson forever
How infinitely precious
how infinitely fragile
Is this life on Earth.

One day, as a young man or woman
You may see another mother's tears
Another father's silent grief.
And then you, and you alone
will understand
and offer the greatest comfort.
When all hope seems lost,
you will tell them
with great compassion,
"I know how you feel.
I'm only here
Because my parents tried again."

1 comments:

crystal said...

I love this poem. I shared it with some of my friends too.

Post a Comment