Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Strange Things.....

Today has just been the weirdest day. I am convinced I'm going crazy or something. I thought it was a full moon, but it's not until the 21st. So I have no explanation.

My day was going as usual, although Pandora decided to play lots of sad, slow songs in a row while I was doing paperwork this morning. I had some free time so I screened some kids - wow, I used my time wisely today. Imagine that! So, as I'm talking to a second grade teacher about the one student I screened, she tells me she think she's really smart and may need tested for gifted, as well as speech and maybe physical and occupational therapy. She said she was just waiting for his IQ test to come back.

Nothing abnormal about that conversation, but remember it for later.

Then I went to check my e-mail. I got one from the school psychologist who works at the high school about one of my students who is getting reevaluated and I hadn't put my input yet - imagine that! And it starts out "congratulations on the new addition to your family! Hope you are doing well :)" It caught me completely off guard - how did she NOT know? A bulletin was posted at all buildings, and I am positive people talked about it. But I felt a meltdown coming. I composed myself as my Kindergarteners came in for their session. I made it through - barely. Not my finest therapy session. So, then it was my lunch and I was really hungry. But, my lunch is in the fridge in the faculty room, and I really didn't feel like talking to anyone at this point. I knew the tears would come. As I was sitting there debating what to do, the assistant principal walks in to ask me something. And I just blurted out that I was having a bad day and told her what happened. She was confused as well. I told her I was prepared for kids to say something and they had asked, but I had been as "OK" as possible. So then she asked me if I wanted her to just change the subject or leave, and I was crying at this point, so she said she would just leave me alone and shut the door when she left. So I cried for a few more minutes - and picked up my cell phone when I was done to text my cousin. As I opened it to text, it rang. So I picked it up, and it was my doctor calling. How freaking weird is that? If you only knew how hard it is to get in touch with me at work - I travel between 3 buildings and if I am with students, I don't answer. Usually it ends up being phone tag. But I was holding the phone when she called. Crazy. Anyway, she called me to tell me all my test results came back normal. They tested me for a clotting disorder I think and I don't have it. Finally a little good news. We talked a little bit, and I told her about our "whatever happens, happens" plan and she said that sounded like a good plan for us.

Then I had to go see some kids so we hung up. There was a Christmas concert rehearsal so I didn't have students the rest of the day. I passed the principal later, who told me that the one second grade teacher might have a student who needs to be tested for gifted, speech, OT and PT. I told him I had just talked about it with her this morning but that she was waiting for the test results to come back. He then says that they just came back that day. Again......weird.

So, at this point I'm pretty much done. No more focus for me. So I started organizing my files and putting all the kids names on the hanging files so I can find them easier. A few teachers were in the hall talking about Irish twins - you know, siblings born in the same calendar year, but not twins. Apparently, she had a set of them in the same grade. That's just weird. But I had been thinking to myself - before this conversation - that it could be possible for Adelyn to have an Irish twin. Since we are not preventing pregnancy, you never know. Weird, again.

So, in closing - today brought my very firt "meltdown" at work. And in front of the assistant principal. Gotta love it. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings. We have a speech department meeting and those are always interesting!


Post a Comment