Friday, March 25, 2011

My Necklace

I've been meaning to write this post for the LONGEST time. In fact, I took this picture back on November 29th - Adelyn's two months in heaven date.

This is the ONLY picture I will ever have of both my girls' hands. The funeral home who helped us with Adelyn's cremation (we did not have a viewing or service there, it was at chapel by the priest who married us) was so very helpful to us. While the hospital never thought to dress Adelyn in actual clothes, they did and made her look so beautiful for us. It was really a huge step in my healing to see her that way, I think. I was so afraid of what she was going to look like after the autopsy. Anyway, I digress. One of the things they offered us was jewelry with her actual hand or foot print shrunk down and engraved in it. I chose the heart of course, and her handprint because we did not have any images of her handprint.

Since the day the necklace came in - which happened to be on the EXACT one month mark - I don't think I have left the house without it. I get so many comments on it - sometimes just a "I like your necklace" to which I smile and reply "thanks." Little do they know they just made my day. Sometimes it leads to questions about whose handprint it is - which can be ok, depending on the day and who asks. When the four year old at Sierra's baby-sitter's house asked me, I didn't really know what to say. Today one of my Kindergarten students asked me and I just replied "my daughter's". I love when I am wearing it and Sierra touches it while I cuddle with her. I love that every time people see it, they are reminded of Adelyn - at least I hope.

When I first got the idea to take pictures of my necklace with Sierra holding it, I thought of this song. So true.

4 comments:

TanaLee Davis said...

The necklace is beautiful. I have yet to get one of those. I hope by June I can get one when J and I return to Seattle in memory of TanaLee. I also wanted to comment you on the photo. Perfect composition of light and dark and mixing art and reality.
~Felicia

Laura said...

Beautiful. Simply Beautiful.

Rhiannon said...

What a beautiful necklace and I love the picture of Sierra holding her sisters hand. So sweet. Perfect song, too, it has me in tears this morning. ((hugs))

B's Mom said...

Beautiful. I love it.

Post a Comment